A sideline

Discussion about any topic, Alien-related or not, takes place in this forum.
Paxton, K
Global Moderator
Billet: Section Medic
1st Section, 1st Squad
Injuries: No injuries
Weapons: M41A2 Pulse Rifle (6)
M4A4 Side Arm (3)
Designation: Combat Medic

Re: A sideline

Post by Paxton, K »

Speaking from a former Chat Room GM Position. That can get stupidly complicated and not everyone is on at the same time. Yes, I understand real time interactions but you will also have to deal with a butt load of other issues, especially when players both metagame and have conflict with other players that spills over from out of character. Then there is the issue with keeping everything in order when the room is active and booting bots whenever they arrive. There are other problems that pop up that can become a big issue and a major headache. I ran a USCMC room years ago and things got wholly out of hand to the point where some people (who were really good rpers) were ISP banned from the rooms and an internal power struggle ensued. I only say this as a word of warning from someone who was there. It may seem like a great idea at the time but the effort that goes into keeping a room open as well as maintaining a well organized group mentality is hard especially if everyone is responding to an action all at once. If you do go forward with something like this I would suggest doing something like turn based. In most chat rooms they give you a character limit for each post. Turn based would allot each player with a said amount of posts before someone else can post. I will tell you this makes each session unbearably long. Especially with the amount of players that this group has. It would take a week of role playing six hours straight to do something that on the forum takes possibly a few days.

I will understand if you and the other administrators go for opening an room on any of the sights that have been mentioned above. Just be prepared for the headaches that come from doing something like this.

KPax
Helmet written in sharpie: Audaces Fortuna Iuvat
Front of body armor: "Don't Fear the Reaper" with a stylized Grim Reaper beneath the words.
Back of armor: Unfinished Celtic knot.
Redds, J. H.
Administrator
Billet: 1st Section, 1st Squad
Weapons: M41A2 Pulse Rifle (5 + 1)
M4A3 Pistol (4 + 1)
Designation: Commtech

Post by Redds, J. H. »

Aye, I'll keep that in mind. I know the problems one can run into with real-time RP -- I've seen a lot of that shit firsthand. Until proven otherwise, though, I trust the people we have so far to behave themselves. We can deal with any issues as they arise, and if it doesn't work out then at least we'll have tried.

Understand that a lot of this is just throwing out ideas, tho' -- I'm not particularly committed to any of it.
the ghost of harko has possessed my washing machine please send help
Radley, B. G.
Crawminator
Billet: 1st Section, 2nd Squad
Weapons: M56A2 Smartgun (3 Drums)
M4A3 Service Pistol (4 Mags)
Bowie Knife
Designation: Smartgunner

Post by Radley, B. G. »

Oh. Shit. It works. I can be on, apparently.
Front of Helmet, Sticker of the Louisiana Flag
Back of Armor in White Gothic Lettering, Commodum Habistus Es
Right Shin Guard in Black Sharpie, Your Ass Here with an arrow pointing downward
On Smartgun in White Chalk,
TAKE TWO OF THESE AND CALL ME IN THE MORNING
Paxton, K
Global Moderator
Billet: Section Medic
1st Section, 1st Squad
Weapons: M41A2 Pulse Rifle (6)
M4A4 Side Arm (3)
Designation: Combat Medic

Post by Paxton, K »

Understood Redds. Things hopefully will work for the best.
Helmet written in sharpie: Audaces Fortuna Iuvat
Front of body armor: "Don't Fear the Reaper" with a stylized Grim Reaper beneath the words.
Back of armor: Unfinished Celtic knot.