Drifting

Home of Omega Company, this Conestoga class troop transport steadily prowls through the stars.
Cohen, J
Gamemaster
Posts: 75
Joined: Jul 16, 2011, 11:40 AM
Rank: Corporal
Status: Healthy
Billet: None
Injuries: No injuries
Weapons: Unarmed
Designation: CommTech

Drifting

Post by Cohen, J » Jun 15, 2013, 9:24 PM

GM

DATE: October 29th, 2185

The silent, majestic field of stars cast dim light upon the long, proud hull of a Conestoga-class troop transport as the ship moved slowly through the empty gaps between stars. The name USS OMAHA, stenciled onto the side of the vessel, reflected in the ship's IFF beacon, stood in dark contrast to the gunmetal gray of the ship's hull, a sharp, martial contrast of color. Bristling with weapons and carrying an entire platoon of hardened veterans within her hull, the USS Omaha was one of many similar ships. Omaha was one of the later ships among the Marine Corps' Conestoga fleet, which boasted ships such as the Sephora, Verloc, Tyrago, Patna, and the infamous harbinger of bad luck, the USS Sulaco. Like her sister ships, the Omaha was a troop carrier, meant to ferry Colonial Marines, the military might of the centralized colonial government on Earth, to their destinations across human controlled space.

Despite her heavy armaments and armor plating, the Omaha was alone in a dark corner of space, a fact that would soon come to haunt many of the slumbering bodies within her bowels.

Ships like the Omaha were always at risk of incurring damage due to the debris that littered the seemingly vast expanse of the galaxy. A micrometeorite, no larger than a baseball, slammed into the Omaha's forward navigation array, taking out the advanced machinery in the span of seconds. Attempting to compensate for the loss of the primary navigational systems, the Omaha's onboard computers turned the ship towards what it "knew" to be the nearest Colonial Marine strongpoint for repairs. The cosmos blinked, and suddenly, alarms sounded as the ship determinedly pushed forward towards the closest Colonial Marine beacon.

Screens lit up like fireworks displays across the ship.

TROOP TRANSPORT OMAHA

CMC 846A/BETA

MISSION/PATROL/LOCAL CLUSTER

STATUS RED

TREATY VIOLATION

REF: #99AG558L5

CAUSE: NAVIGATIONAL ERROR/SUPERSTRUCTURE DAMAGE

The Omaha was an intruder upon occupied ground, ground that politicians on two different ideological sides had fought many backdoor and meeting room battles to sanctify. Her presence had not gone unnoticed, as claxons and warnings continued to sound across the sleeping ship.

"Attention. Due to failure of navigational circuitry and damage to superstructure, USS Omaha has entered a sector claimed by the Union of Progressive Peoples. Auxiliary systems are now on line. Course corrected. Hardwired protocols prevent, repeat, prevent arming of nuclear warheads in the absence of Diplomatic Override, Decryption Standard Charlie Nine. On present course,
Omaha will exit the U.P.P. sector at nineteen hundred hours fifty three point eight minutes."


The Omaha continued to push forward, unaware of a single presence inexorably creeping closer and closer...

Hours later, the Omaha's proximity alerts sounded, as another ship of similar size slid next to the Colonial Marine vessel.

In response, dormant cryopods slid open, hissing as lights across the ship snapped on. Proximity alarms rang in the ears of the slowly awakening Marines. Groggily, the men and women of the USS Omaha gradually realized the same thing; they were under attack.

"Attention. Security breach, Cargo Lock 4. Security alert. Breach, B-deck..."
Omega Company Longtime Veteran (since 2005)

Everyone's Favorite Tranny She-male thing!

Cohen, J
Gamemaster
Posts: 75
Joined: Jul 16, 2011, 11:40 AM
Rank: Corporal
Status: Healthy
Billet: None
Injuries: No injuries
Weapons: Unarmed
Designation: CommTech

Re: Drifting

Post by Cohen, J » Jun 16, 2013, 9:50 PM

(OOC: Everyone, a [url=http://lcarsgfx.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/sulaco-blog.png]deck plan of the Omaha is here[/url]. We are currently in the Cryo Chambers marked on the map. ALL players start here).

(and today marks the five year revival of Cpl. Cohen. Yay!)

---

The cold, unforgiving air of the ship rushing suddenly over her body wasn't what tipped Jenna's intuition off to the fact that there was a problem. But maybe the klaxons and warning lights had something to do with it.

Cryo tubes were opening, one by one, and Marines were already beginning to stir. The PA system was saying something about a security breach down on the dropship decks, specifically the aft hangar. Something was very, very wrong; the Omaha's passive sensors would have detected an approaching ship and would have woken the crew sooner. For a ship to get this close to the Omaha before the ship brought the Marines out of the freezer was improbable at best, but from the sound of things, the unknown boarding team had secured the aft hangar and the aft armory.

"Fuck me!" she snarled as she hit the freezing deck.
Omega Company Longtime Veteran (since 2005)

Everyone's Favorite Tranny She-male thing!

User avatar
JEDI44
Posts: 16
Joined: Mar 12, 2013, 1:50 AM
Status: Healthy
Injuries: No injuries
Weapons: 1911 Pistol .45 Cal

Re: Drifting

Post by JEDI44 » Jun 16, 2013, 9:52 PM

:: A life support capsule lights up in the still dim room ::
:: as if a chain reaction has started banks of lights start coming online as well, the life support capsule becomes the point of origin to waves of light cascading outward as the ship powers up ::

:: The display screen on the capsule lights up with the following display ::

SUBJECT: Taggert, Merric
RANK: -- Civilian, Contractor --
STATUS: EMERGENCEY REVIVE

:: Merric is jolted awake choking back the beginings of a shout as he remembers he is in a hypersleep chamber ::
:: Merric sits up pulling wires and probes off of his body as he does so, he can hear the central computer repeating a message about a hull breach ::

:: his first reaction is to go to his locker and retreive his gear ::
:: a moment of hesitation would be observed as he fails to see his pulse rifle and armor and instead only sees his fatigues ::
:: he immediately pulls on his clothes and straps on his gear remembering he is still technically a civilian technician until the brass again decides to put him in his next suicide mission, he mutters to himself::

Well, this could be my next mission...

:: Now Geared up Merric makes his way to a wall monitor and attempts to access the flight record and a route to the nearest armory for some firepower ::

:: Hearing two other occupants waking from their chambers he call out to them ::

We have a breach on B-Deck! I can't access the flight record from here, but something definitely isn't right!
Who is the ranking member in charge? We need weapons and a way to seal off that breach...

:: The alarm continues to sound as Merric turns back to the computer again trying to get a full status report on the ship and the damage ::
Last edited by JEDI44 on Jun 17, 2013, 11:17 AM, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Hoban, W.
Veteran Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Oct 06, 2011, 6:30 AM
Rank: Private First Class
Status: Healthy
Billet: None
Injuries: No injuries
Weapons: Unarmed
Designation: 0621 Commtech

Re: Drifting

Post by Hoban, W. » Jun 17, 2013, 1:11 AM

Hoban awoke groggily to the sound of the alarm klaxons, and other marines stirring from their cryo-tubes. He sat up, rubbing the back of his neck as he looked about in confusion. He wiped the sleep from his eyes and began to pluck the monitoring attachments from his chest.

"What's going on? Is this a prank or something?" He had just barely caught the tail-end of the most recent automated warning from the Omaha that was accompanying the blaring alarms. A breach, on b-deck. Hoban tried to rack his memory, which still felt half-frozen, as to just what kind of potential damage or losses would come from a breach at cargo lock 4.

"We hit an iceberg, or did somebody leave a microwave on?" He joked as he hopped out of the tube.

User avatar
Kellser, M.R.
Global Moderator
Posts: 44
Joined: Jun 26, 2011, 9:51 PM
Rank: Corporal
Status: Healthy
Billet: None
Injuries: No injuries
Weapons: Unarmed
Designation: Rifleman
Location: Rhode Island (formerly Mississippi)

Re: Drifting

Post by Kellser, M.R. » Jun 17, 2013, 5:38 PM

The stimuli one experienced upon waking, mainly the sounds one heard, were dull at first for Corporal Matthew Kellser as the lid of his cryo-pod lifted and he was lifted back into the waking world. But his mind seemed to turn the knobs and increase the volume of everything, and he was now aware that he was rolling out of the pod to take a knee on the freezing floor, wires and leads tangled around him, as he began coughing up the gunk in his lungs. Once the fluids had all been expelled, Matthew was able to listen to the emergency announcement that was being broadcast in tandem with the alarm klaxxons.

Getting his breathing back under control, Kellser stood and removed the monitoring leads from his chest and looked about the bed chamber as his fellow Jarheads were also roused from their brief slumber. One of these Colonial Marines, Private First Class Hoburn, spoke up to ask, "We hit an iceberg, or did somebody leave a microwave on?"

Matthew looked up as the announcement repeated itself once again: "Attention. Security breach, Cargo Lock 4. Security alert. Breach, B-deck..."

Returning his attention to Hoban, Kellser wryly replied, "Sounds to me like someone forgot the pizza delivery guy was on his way," before turning to find the members of his fire team.

((OOC: How are we organized into teams and such?))

User avatar
JEDI44
Posts: 16
Joined: Mar 12, 2013, 1:50 AM
Status: Healthy
Injuries: No injuries
Weapons: 1911 Pistol .45 Cal

Re: Drifting

Post by JEDI44 » Jun 17, 2013, 6:41 PM

:: Merric is able to get the on board computer to briefly accept his security override ::
:: Talking to himself as he types ::

Command: scan for life forms B deck

Let's see if we can find out who blew a hole in our ship...

(( OOC : what is the current crew compliment? ))

Cohen, J
Gamemaster
Posts: 75
Joined: Jul 16, 2011, 11:40 AM
Rank: Corporal
Status: Healthy
Billet: None
Injuries: No injuries
Weapons: Unarmed
Designation: CommTech

Re: Drifting

Post by Cohen, J » Jun 17, 2013, 8:41 PM

(OOC: Assignments are fluid right now. In universe, as explained below, Omega has had transfers, casualties, and the like, and didn't have a chance to restructure the squad structure before the attack happens. And to anyone else who comes in, consider yourself part of the final awakening cryo tubes.)

GM

Confused murmurings and general trepidation crept through the awakening Marines. Their normal squad rosters were currently blank; as Omega Company had sustained casualties and transfers over the last few deployments, the squad structure was slated to be reconfigured by the ship's computer upon receiving confirmation from the nearest Colonial Marine outpost. However, since no contact had yet been established, squad structure was still fluid. Most importantly, only a few more cryo tubes were coming online; the majority of the cryo banks were still in stasis.

"Rejuvenation process halted" the ship's PA intoned. Those few cryo tubes that were currently beginning the awakening cycles were to be the last, apparently. The few Marines that were awake would be the only ones to respond to the internal emergency crisis aboard the Omaha.

Meanwhile, the newcomer to Omega, whose presence had so far not been questioned, attempted to check the Omaha's internal monitors in order to determine who was onboard the ship. To his surprise, the ship's systems refused to authenticate him; whoever was onboard the ship had effectively locked the Marines out of their own internal security systems.

"Hoban, did you leave popcorn in the microwave again?" Jenna grumbled, narrowing her eyes and squinting. The ship's elevator banks were still online, that much was clear.
Omega Company Longtime Veteran (since 2005)

Everyone's Favorite Tranny She-male thing!

User avatar
JEDI44
Posts: 16
Joined: Mar 12, 2013, 1:50 AM
Status: Healthy
Injuries: No injuries
Weapons: 1911 Pistol .45 Cal

Re: Drifting

Post by JEDI44 » Jun 17, 2013, 10:36 PM

:: Merric narrows his eyes in frustration as the screen he was accessing suddenly changes to read ' ACCESS DENIED ' ::

They have locked us out of our own systems...

:: Merric turns around to the other Marines in various states of revival and makes a decision ::

We need to split into teams and head for the elevators.
I nominate CPL Cohen and PFC Hoban start trying to break back into our own systems.

CPL Kellser And I can go and try and aquire some firepower.
Weapons should be on the lower deck by the drop bay.

Protocol for possible repelling of boarders to USCM Vessels is that Ranking USCM member will lead the actions taken to safe guard USCM personell and equipment.

My interpertation of that would mean CPL Kellser would be the NCOIC and CPL Cohen the SIC.

If we are agreed to this course of action we should get moving.

:: Merric Stands arms folded across his chest awaiting their decision ::

User avatar
Kellser, M.R.
Global Moderator
Posts: 44
Joined: Jun 26, 2011, 9:51 PM
Rank: Corporal
Status: Healthy
Billet: None
Injuries: No injuries
Weapons: Unarmed
Designation: Rifleman
Location: Rhode Island (formerly Mississippi)

Re: Drifting

Post by Kellser, M.R. » Jun 18, 2013, 12:33 AM

It seemed some mental processes were slower to return to full power than others, as it wasn't until Kellser reached his locker and started throwing on his shirt and fatigue pants when he remembered that he didn't really have a fire team at this point in time. He shook his head as he fastened his belt and started lacing his boots when a new announcement sounded over the P.A. system.

"Rejuvenation process halted."

Kellser looked about the bed chamber at the number of Marines who were awake and couldn't help but feel concerned that there weren't enough. Corporal Cohen also seemed displeased, though at least she was able to make a quip out of the situation. Kellser's thoughts were interrupted when a voice he didn't recognize for a moment spoke up.

"They have locked us out of our own systems..." Kellser looked to the owner of this voice -- who had his back to the main chamber as he worked at a terminal -- and briefly couldn't remember who he was, but then it finally came to him: the newly assigned support synthetic. The synthetic, Taggard, then turned to face the Marines as he continued, "We need to split into teams and head for the elevators. I nominate Corporal Cohen and PFC Hoban start trying to break back into our own systems. Corporal Kellser and I can go and try and acquire some firepower. Weapons should be on the lower deck by the drop bay.

"Protocol for possible repelling of boarders to USCM Vessels is that ranking USCM member will lead the actions taken to safe guard USCM personnel and equipment. My interpretation of that would mean Corporal Kellser would be the NCOIC and Corporal Cohen the SIC.

"If we are agreed to this course of action we should get moving."


From his locker, Kellser couldn't help but cast a glance to Cohen, then back to Taggard. "I'm all for going to try and retrieve some weapons, but it's gonna be a long walk. The breach is in cargo lock four, which means they've probably already got the aft hangar and armory secured. We're gonna have to go all the way to the fore hangar and hope they don't breach it too before we get there. We can take this elevator down, cut through the pilots' briefing rooms, then take the fore elevator down to the hangar."

As he said this he took a few steps toward the elevator. "But if anyone's in charge here, it's Corporal Cohen, she's got seniority," he said as he pointed to the Marine in question before addressing her. "You wouldn't happen to have a contraband sidearm tucked away in your locker or something, would you?"

((OOC: I'm having trouble reading that map, so I think I've got the right course plodded out. I can't make heads or tails of which decks are which, though [A, B, C, etc.], and the whole thing kinda makes my eyes hurt, so please bear with me.))

User avatar
Hoban, W.
Veteran Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Oct 06, 2011, 6:30 AM
Rank: Private First Class
Status: Healthy
Billet: None
Injuries: No injuries
Weapons: Unarmed
Designation: 0621 Commtech

Re: Drifting

Post by Hoban, W. » Jun 18, 2013, 1:00 AM

Hoban sat on the rim of his tube and listened as the others discussed the situation a little before getting up and stretching. Somebody had just nominated him to break back into the ship's systems, which of course, being work, was one of the last things that he wanted to do right after waking up. But considering that the alternative seemed to be dealing with whatever the hell was out there poking holes in the vessel and possibly rummaging through the armory, he decided to hop up and set about gathering his gear.

"All ya gotta do is ask her nicely, she doesn't like taking orders." Hoban joked as he approached the terminal, yawning.

Post Reply