Video Game Discussion

Discussion about any topic, Alien-related or not, takes place in this forum.
Kellser, M.R.
Global Moderator
Billet: None
Injuries: No injuries
Weapons: Unarmed
Designation: Rifleman

Video Game Discussion

Post by Kellser, M.R. »

Thought I'd try and inject some life back into the GD with a topic a lot of us are familiar with: video games.

In addition to the obligatory Halo 4 habit, I've been on a bit of a Marathon kick lately. I had the original and Marathon Infinity downloaded via the Aleph One engine on my old laptop before it got fried, but obviously I've lost my progress. I've been playing the XBLA version of Marathon 2: Durandal, though, and it's got me seriously considering reacquiring them and getting back to where I was and continuing.

Now I just gotta muster up the motivation to download 'em and brush off my shitty mouse-and-keyboard "skills".
Radley, B. G.
Crawminator
Billet: 1st Section, 2nd Squad
Weapons: M56A2 Smartgun (3 Drums)
M4A3 Service Pistol (4 Mags)
Bowie Knife
Designation: Smartgunner

Re: Video Game Discussion

Post by Radley, B. G. »

Fantastic idea. It's good to see something sitting yellow for once.

Is the Marathon series a Doom based game? Or, what's the deal? I'm actually about to start getting stuff ready for the movers so I can't do the research, lol.

I, myself, am trying to get an old game that the world of technology has left behind: MechCommander. I've recently gotten into MechWarrior Online and it got me thinking about how to get this game up and running. Looks like one guy figured it out by rebuilding it for Windows 7 to run it on 8. If anyone has an easier suggestion, I'd love to hear it.
Front of Helmet, Sticker of the Louisiana Flag
Back of Armor in White Gothic Lettering, Commodum Habistus Es
Right Shin Guard in Black Sharpie, Your Ass Here with an arrow pointing downward
On Smartgun in White Chalk,
TAKE TWO OF THESE AND CALL ME IN THE MORNING
Kellser, M.R.
Global Moderator
Billet: None
Weapons: Unarmed
Designation: Rifleman

Post by Kellser, M.R. »

Not Doom-based, no, unless you mean "old-school, pixellated FPS". It was an original sci-fi FPS developed by Bungie for the Macintosh in 1994. It's notable for being the first FPS with a serious narrative plot to it and featured objectives for its missions besides just "get from point A to point B and kill everything in between." It also implemented a lot of FPS features that are now basic standards, such as reloadable magazines with finite ammo, dual-wielding weapons, and vertical aiming. It was also the first major release to use the mouse-based free look mechanic universal in FPSs today, though it took the release of Quake in '96 to bring free look to the masses.

The Halo games are essentially spiritual successors to the Marathon Trilogy and feature a lot of similar design elements, shout-outs and references, and little easter eggs for the die hard fans of the trilogy that put Bungie on the map. The really cynical could make an argument that Halo was Bungie's workaround to continue making Marathon games without having to give ownership of them to Microsoft, but that doesn't really make much sense given the development process Halo went through from RTS to FPS.

The thing that's got me on this kick is the possibility of a new Marathon game. Last May, Activision had to release some contract documents as part of the lawsuit between them and the Call of Duty head honchos. Among these was their contract with Bungie, detailing their new series (code-named "Destiny,") their royalty arrangements, and the right to have no more than five percent of their studio devoted to working on an action-shooter prototype dubbed "Marathon," as described [url=http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-bungie-activision-contract-20120521,0,3463781.story]here[/url].
Leroy, D.N.

Post by Leroy, D.N. »

Have you guys tried the Far Cry 3 CO-OP?

It's a pretty fun experience, mixing the Far Cry universe with the principles of Left 4 Dead. Made for some funny situations and some very tough fights!

I've tried playing MechWarrior Online, with the beta release, but I can't manage to get more than 5 minutes of game time per session before crashing like a chump... It sucks cause I loved MechWarrior 3 and 4. (I've never played MechCommander)
Damien Neil LEROY
Thomas, G.

Post by Thomas, G. »

I was REALLY disappointed with Far Cry 2, and I have no idea why. I just couldn't get into it. Been trying to get into Fable 3 at the moment.
Leroy, D.N.

Post by Leroy, D.N. »

Well if you get to play Farcry 3 at a friends house or through other means, try it!

It has nothing to do with Farcry 1 (and its army of alien/bio-engineered human/monkey rabid flood) or Farcry 2 (haven't played it, but the reviews are unanimous, compared to the others, this one sucked...)

So give it a whirl, oh and...

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBDi0iM2kcU]Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?[/url]
Damien Neil LEROY
Leroy, D.N.

Post by Leroy, D.N. »

How do you like them apples!

Damien Neil LEROY
Radley, B. G.
Crawminator
Billet: 1st Section, 2nd Squad
Weapons: M56A2 Smartgun (3 Drums)
M4A3 Service Pistol (4 Mags)
Bowie Knife
Designation: Smartgunner

Post by Radley, B. G. »

Du wont.
Front of Helmet, Sticker of the Louisiana Flag
Back of Armor in White Gothic Lettering, Commodum Habistus Es
Right Shin Guard in Black Sharpie, Your Ass Here with an arrow pointing downward
On Smartgun in White Chalk,
TAKE TWO OF THESE AND CALL ME IN THE MORNING
Leroy, D.N.

Post by Leroy, D.N. »

AAAAANNND Pre-ORdered on PC.
Damien Neil LEROY
Leroy, D.N.

Post by Leroy, D.N. »

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/dhefi4/aliens--colonial-marines-kickass-trailer

You're in the core... you're not in your right mind x)
Damien Neil LEROY